In the neo-energy research group of the Catalonia Institute of nanoscience and nanotechnology (ICN2) we bring together expertise in Materials Science, Nanomaterials, Electrochemistry and Polymer Chemistry and put it to work for energy-related applications. We actively work on various research projects on energy storage and conversion, an increasingly strategic area which urgently needs fundamental improvements. We design and synthesize new materials, including hybrid nanocomposites, with a strong emphasis on structural control at the microscale and the meso-nanoscale. This work forms the basis for the development of complex, polymaterial architectures conceived and optimized for use in rechargeable lithium batteries, supercapacitors and hybrid energy storage devices.
In addition we are developing two emerging lines on Nanofluids. The first one deals with their design and application as Heat Transfer Fluids and the second represents the first-time development of Electroactive Nanofluids for the fabrication of high energy-density
- NESTOR Nanomaterials for Energy STORage. AGAUR Generalitat de Catalunya 2014_SGR_1505 2014-2016. IP Dino Tonti (ICMAB). IP ICN2 Pedro Gomez-Romero.
- Proyecto Plan Nacional MAT2015-68394-R “Nanofluidos basados en Carbones con micro-estructura optimizada y sus híbridos para almacenamiento de energía en celdas de flujo” (NaCarFLOW). IP CIN2 (CSIC) Pedro Gómez Romero. 2016-2018.
- “Development of New Cathodes for Stable and Safer Lithium-Sulfur Batteries”. Science for Peace and Security Program, NATO. Coord. Andrea S. Fedorkova (Pavol Jozef Safarik University, Slovakia). IP(ICN2) Pedro Gómez-Romero. 2016-2019.
- “Graphene-based batteries for energy storage” . R+D Contract with EARTHDAS (spin-off)
- Prof. Pedro Gomez-Romero, Principal Investigator
- Dr. Deepak P. Dubal; Researcher
- Daniel Rueda-García; Researcher
- Carlos Marchante: Researcher
- Zahilia Cabán-Huertas: Researcher /PhD Student
- Rocío Rodríguez-Laguna: Researcher /PhD Student
- Bhawna Nagar: Researcher /PhD Student
- Hong Chen: Researcher /Master Student
- Jun Lian Wang: Researcher /Undergraduate Student
- Electroactive Graphene Nanofluids for Fast Energy Storage Deepak P. Dubal and Pedro Gomez-Romero 2D-Materials. 2016, 3, 031004
- Hybrid Energy Storage. The merging of battery and supercapacitor chemistries. (REVIEW). P. Dubal, O. Ayyad, V. Ruiz, and P. Gomez-Romero*. Chemical Society Reviews, 2015, 44, 1777.
- Aqueous synthesis of LiFePO4 with Fractal Granularity. Zahilia Caban-Huertas, Omar Ayyad, Deepak P. Dubal, Pedro Gomez-Romero*. Scientific Reports, 2016, 6, 27024.
- A high voltage solid state symmetric supercapacitor based on graphene-polyoxometalate hybrid electrodes with a hydroquinone doped hybrid gel-electrolyte DP Dubal, J Suarez-Guevara, D Tonti, E Enciso, P Gomez-Romero. Journal of Materials Chemistry A: Materials for Energy and Sustainability 2015, 3(46), 23483-23492.
- 3-D Hierarchical assembly of ultrathin MnO2 nanoflakes grown on silicon nanowires for high performance micro-supercapacitors with Li-doped ionic liquid. Deepak P. Dubal, David Aradilla, Gérard Bidan, Pascal Gentile, Thomas J.S. Schubert, Jan Wimberg, Saïd Sadki, Pedro Gomez-Romero*. Scientific Reports (Nature pub. Group) 2015, 5, Article number: 9771.
- Development of hybrid materials based on sponge supported reduced graphene oxide and transition metal hydroxides for hybrid energy storage devices Deepak P. Dubal*, Rudolf Holze, Pedro Gomez-Romero*. Scientific Reports (Nature pub. Group) 2014, 4 : 7349.
- Electroactive nanofluids on graphene-based materials for energy storage in flow cells. Gómez-Romero, D.P. Dubal, D. Gómez ES1641 1064_14052015 20 de Mayo 2015